Saturday, October 20, 2007

And on top of it all...

We're going to the reproductive endocrinologist on Monday to sit down and discuss the IVF cycle and sign the consent forms. The nurse had given me a copy of the consents to read over before the appointment, so I've been reading through and doing some research online. I've got a list of questions, and Charlie and I have some decisions to make about number of eggs to fertilize, freeze, and implant.

I have been a little worked up, ok, a lot worked up, about the medicine that I have to take. It's a lot of medicine. I am bothered by the sheer fact that I will be putting all of that stuff into my body. I am not yet to the point of thinking about the "procedure" and the implications of it's success or failure.

And the risks are what I'd expect. Nothing too shocking or out of the ordinary in the consent forms, but ....

Part IX -- Hazards and Risks

...an excessive number of eggs may develop, causing temporary cysts of the ovaries, swelling of the abdomen, weight gain of more than six (6) pounds, ...

That weight gain thing irritates me. Cysts, had them, bulging abdomen, had it, but you're telling me I may go through this and come out not pregnant and with a bigger rear end? Ugh. Feeling as though I need to work harder to shed some pounds to even things out in the end. Fluctuating weight is a stressful situation for me, silly you may think, but it is on my mind. Just another thing to fret over, I suppose.

No comments: