Thursday, February 10, 2011

Notes from the Potty

Taking aim

Distracted by the television...NOT good!

  • I'm calling it:  Freddie is POTTY TRAINED.  
  • Ok, so I think officially potty trained means there is no involvement from anyone else, which certainly is not the case here, but ALL pee and poop go into the potty.  I usually let 2 hours go by before telling him it is time to potty.  He is telling me more and more that he needs to potty.  The other day I decided to not say anything and he initiated using the potty five times and had two wet accidents.  Not bad considering one of the accidents was while we were visiting friends and he was awfully busy to stop and pay close attention to his bladder.  I'm still going to tell him when it's time if he doesn't do so first, but I am going to work on doing it less.  I don't want accidents to be the norm but I do want him to feel the need to use the potty.  By the way, he produces something every time he sits down.  There are no wasted visits.
  • He has been dry every morning since I started keeping track, except this morning when Charlie convinced him to go back to sleep when he got up at 6.00am.  By 7.00 am his diaper was wet.  Wonder if he had to potty at is first wake up.  That's 2.5 weeks of dry morning diapers.  I know he's not ready for the potty hall of fame just yet, but I am shocked by this.  He's been asking for undies at night but I want to hold off on this for another few weeks.
  • No accidents during nap since the first two over a month ago.
  • He did have an accident while we were in NOLA, but it was after the boy sucked down 19 of the 20 ounces of my soda.  Other than that, he used the potty all the time and everywhere.
  • He is *very* interested in public restrooms.  The variety in the trashcans, soap dispensers, and faucets is fascinating and can keep us in the bathroom for quite some time.
  • He can get his undies off all by himself.  Back on is another story, but he insists on trying for quite some time.  He also needs some help with pants.
  • He is climbing onto the toilet without the assistance of a stool, although his preferred potty is the one in the living room (see above!) because he can "pee dada."  Shaking my head.  This potty also allows for television viewing when longer visits are necessary.  Shaking my head.  I am ready to start phasing out the little potties but I suppose I need to get a bigger stool for the toilet to allow peeing like dada.  I have a feeling the other male in our household would not be opposed to installing a television in the bathroom.  Still shaking my head.  
  • Pottying has allowed increased adjective use.  Are you shaking your head yet? The kid comes up with big, little, small, round, long.

4 comments:

Soapchick said...

Good thing you have wood floors and leather furniture - lol!

Anonymous said...

So impressed with that boy! Nice work following his lead and doing the tireless work of proactively putting him on the potty, cleaning up accidents, etc. You should pat yourself on the back!

Unknown said...

Wow Impresive! He is doing a great job, way better than Luke did.

Chantelle said...

Hooray, Freddie! Now you've got a little break before you do it all over again with Part Deux;)