Saturday, April 12, 2008

Other than yellow

Arriving home by plane took me over the coastal swamps, and what a view I had of the Louisiana irises in bloom. Large patches of purple and then yellow. I was reminded that the best garden displays are often those of the same plant in mass. For some reason I can't bring myself to do that.

Our home has minimal "stuff". I'm not really a knick knack kind of girl. And when I dress, the accessories are usually some hoops or studs in the ears. But for some reason, that minimalist doesn't come out in the garden.


I have to have one of everything I see. I want to see how it does in different parts of the yard and when it blooms.


So I've got this hodge podge, ill planned flowering mess, and I love looking at it, especially in the evenings when I take Charlie on a "tour" to see what everything's doing..what's budding, what's sprouting, what won't make it.

Right now we're checking on the irises each day. Charlie's favorite is the deep purple...like velvet I tell ya. Sure, having the whole clump of iris blooms being deep purple would certainly be a dramatic look, but it wouldn't be nearly as much fun.

No comments: