I know I've said it before, but I need to say it again. Freddie really, really LOVES gymnastics. I also need to constantly remind myself of this because the commute isn't exactly easy and walking those 11 blocks in the snow come February is going to make me grouchy.
Freddie is on the bottom left
He is currently "training" once a week for 1.5, but I have a feeling he may ask to increase this next year. He isn't the best, or the most aggressive, or the bravest, but he works hard and obviously enjoys it.
His group consists of about 30 boys aged 6-9. They do some warm up and stretches before breaking into smaller groups to work on different skills and apparatus. The lead teacher gives the class a bit of a military, highly disciplined edge that I think turns of a lot of parents. He is very hard on the boys but after watching him with a closer eye it is evident he is also an exceptional motivator and gives praise when deserved and earned.
Lining up by size to listen to coach at the end of class. Freddie is the smallest and all the way to the right.
I have many proud mama moments while watching him from the balcony, but the very best compliment ever was when his teacher stopped me on the way out to tell me Freddie was a hard worker, good listener, polite, determined and what "every 6 year old gymnast should be like." I was thankful Freddie was standing there to hear it. I tell him often I am proud, but I try very hard to have him understand that I am proud of who he is, not what he achieves.
No comments:
Post a Comment