Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Potatoes Au Gratin

I browsed recipes and the ingredients were pretty consistently potatoes (some say red some say russet), milk, cheddar cheese, onion, flour.  The amounts were pretty similar so I just based this off what I had on hand.

It is yummy, yummy, yummy.  I'd really like it served next to a steak, but we had it with grilled shrimp poboys.  We'll have the leftovers this week with brisket.

Ingredients:
  • 4 large potatoes, I used russet
  • 2 cups shredded cheese, I used a cheddar blend
  • Handful of cheese to sprinkle on top
  • 2 cups milk, I used 1.75 cups whole milk, 0.25 cream
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 3 toes garlic, chopped
Directions:
  1. Slice potatoes and then cut slices into fourths.  My slices weren't super thin as some recipes instructed, but they weren't thick either.
  2. Whisk milk and flour until combined.
  3. Toss potatoes in 2 cups cheese and garlic to ensure cheese evenly distributed among potatoes, and then place in a 2 quart baking dish.
  4. Pour milk over potatoes.
  5. Cover with foil.  
  6. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
  7. Remove foil and bake another 25 minutes.
  8. Add remaining cheese to top of potatoes and bake another 15-20 minutes until browned and bubbly.
Note: 
  • Some recipes required "cooked" potatoes, I imagine to decrease cooking time.  Many had baking time of 1 hour, but I imagine the potatoes needed to be sliced pretty thin for that.  Test potatoes after first hour to get better idea of cooking time.
  • I opted not to use onions.
  • I used three toes of garlic and these were garlic-y.  I may reduce to 2 toes next time.
  • Potatoes will look very soupy after first hour of baking.  They will firm some after removing the foil and then even more after cooling before serving.

1 comment:

Laura said...

This looks delicious! Yum.

By the way, have you ever heard of Penzeys spices? I ordered some. Anyhow, I am impressed with them. I love one jar that is pasta sprinkle. Their chocolate mint cocoa is so good too. Just thought you might be interested!