Saturday, September 09, 2006

365 Days

It has been a little over a year since Hurricane Katrina hit our city, but it has not quite been a year since we were able to lay eyes on our home since the flood waters sat for several weeks and Broadmoor remained off limits to it's residents.

I regret not taking more photos to capture what we saw in those firts few hours of returning home, but I know those images are forever a part of my memory.

After fianlly getting passed security checkpoints, we had thought our first trip home would be filled with getting things back to normal. However, when arriving, I was so overwhelemed by our home, I couldn't even stay. I had to process what had happening.

On the second trip, we got to work. That's where these pictures begin. First it was tree debris, then the basement muck out.












At the time, having so many of our possessions out in public view, all heaped on the front yard was very difficult. Strangers poked through it all and maybe even read through our books and letters and glanced at our smeared photos.

So, a year later, 3837 Jena Street looks much improved.



We've laid St. Aug sod in the front and seeded the back. Our home has now been rented to three twenty-somethings who have been positive and upbeat about living in such an empty area.

The view down the street shows an empty neighborhood. I can hardly believe this is a street that once had a parking issue! Jena Street has evolved a great deal in the past year. Piles of trash have been removed and flooded cars have been towed. Although few residents have returned, it seems as though the beginnings of renovations are appearing.




No comments: