Thursday, August 22, 2013

Field Trip to Victorian Gardens

Once again I got to chaperone Freddie's class field trip to Victorian Gardens. 

Exiting the subway station, Freddie with his monkey backpack
Last year it was so much fun for me to see Freddie with his friends from school.  It is a whole side of him I don't see or know about completely, and although I think he likes it that way, I am so thankful I get a peek every once in a while.


The trips the teachers take on with a group of 3-5 year olds amazes me.  We ride the subway and make our way through the busy streets bordering Central Park to get to the amusement park.  It's just how things are for these city kids, I suppose.

 
In was interesting to see how Freddie has matured and his fear has dwindled in a year's time.  Last year he rode everything but there was definitely some hesitation and a bit of going with the flow for the sake of keeping up with his peers.




This year I didn't see any of that, but he seemed to like having me along for some of the rides.  I hung back and watched most of the time though.  He didn't need me.  This was his show.  And I loved watching.




The few other chaperones took their kids off on their own to ride rides, but we stuck with his buddies.  The fun of the trip for Freddie was being with his friends AND having mama along.  The fun for me was certainly getting to see him with his buds.  He loved holding hands with his friends, discussing who would sit next to who, planning which ride would be next and the different seating arrangement.  I cannot believe this is my baby boy!


A picnic lunch in Central Park with buddies and a long, and I mean l-o-n-g, walk back to the subway rounded out the day. 


 
I'm thankful to have been a part of it, and look forward to more.


No comments: