Friday, January 14, 2011

Tomato Soup

I served this with grilled cheese tonight.  This meal made me happy.  Very, very happy.  It isn't exactly healthy, but damn it was good.

Served with parmesan, croutons, and basil

Again, I scanned some recipes and new I had the basics on hand.  The only thing I got specifically for this recipe was basil and I completely forgot to include it.

Ingredients:
  • 7 14 oz can diced tomatoes
  • 1 14 oz can chicken broth
  • 2 medium-large onions, chopped
  • 4 stalks celery, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 2 sticks butter
  • 1 cup cream
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
  1. Melt butter in heavy stock pot.  Pot should be very large because this makes quite a bit of soup.
  2. Add onions, celery, and garlic to butter cooking until translucent.  About 15 minutes
  3. Add flour to pot gradually and stir constantly so that flour doesn't clump.  Just allow mixture to thicken, not brown.
  4. Add tomatoes and chicken broth.
  5. Simmer for an hour allowing tomatoes and vegetables to cook down.  Stir frequently to ensure not sticking to bottom.
  6. Blend.
  7. Return to pot and stir in cream.
  8. Salt and pepper to taste, remembering tomatoes and chicken broth probably already have some sodium.
Notes:
  • I blended using an immersion blender right in the pot.  So easy!  Would not be as inclined to make this recipe if I had to blend it in batches in a traditional counter top blender.
  • I forgot the basil.  I am not sure how I would have included it.  My plan was to add 15 or so fresh basil leaves while cooking and just blend them in.  Another recipe I read recommended adding the complete bunch of basil to pot, and removing before blending.  this time it was chopped, and added to top.
  • Wanna make it healthy: Of course the butter and cream are part of why this is so yummy, but Freddie and I did have little taster bowls after blending before adding the cream and it was really good.  I almost didn't put in the cream and may leave it out next time just to be mindful of our health. 

Lot's of leftovers even after three large bowls have been eaten.  I'll put one in the freezer for later.


Freddie loved it too!

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

Ooooo I'm going to try this! Michael loves Tomato Soup!