Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Never Fail Fudge


The plan was to make the Fantasy Fudge from the back of the Marshmallow Creme jar.  Marshmallow Creme is not to be had in these parts because there is a regional favorite: "Marshmallow Fluff."  You know, Marshmallow Fluff + peanut butter + 2 slices bread = Fluffernutter.  Don't worry, I knew nothing of the Fluffernutter.  Definitely a Northeast thing.  Maybe we'll try it one day.



I thought I'd still do the Fantasy Fudge recipe using the Fluff but since the fluff had its own recipe on the back I went with that one.

 Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 c. sugar
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 stick butter or margarine
  • 1 5 oz. can evaporated milk (2/3 c.)
  • 1 Jar (7 1/2oz) Marshmallow Fluff
  • 3/4 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 12-oz. package semi-sweet chocolate pieces (2 cups)
  • 1 /2 c. chopped walnuts*
Directions:
  1. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan; set aside. 
  2. In large saucepan combine the first 5 ingredients. 
  3. Stir over low heat until blended. 
  4. Increase heat to Medium and bring to a full-rolling boil being careful not to mistake escaping air bubbles for boiling. 
  5. Boil slowly, stirring constantly for 5 minutes. 
  6. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and chocolate until chocolate is melted. 
  7. Add nuts. 
  8. Turn into greased pan and cool. 
  9. Makes 2 1/2 pounds.

Notes:
  • *I DID NOT use walnuts.  Pecans are the only nuts allowed in my baking!
  • While I don't like overly nutty fudge, this recipe could definitely stand to have more nuts added.
  •  I doubled the recipe without issue since I could only find the large size jar of fluff.  This make a whole lot of fudge.  I will be sending some to work with Charlie to share when he does his lab presentation.
  • Since I doubled the recipe I had to switch pots midway.  It is a lot of fudge.  It would have helped if Charlie had been here to help me pour it into the pan because it was hot and heavy.
  • It would be easy to mistake the early bubbling for boiling.  Hold out for a rolling boil.
  • Having Freddie in the kitchen meant I definitely did not stir constantly and it turned out fine.
  • Having  tasted "Fantasy Fudge" at Liz's I think I may prefer that recipe.  I'll try it after this is all gone to compare.
  • Probably should have let it sit overnight before cutting.  Edges were firmer than center.
  • The recipe recommends using the "softball test" as opposed to a candy thermometer.  When I spoke with Liz about Fantasy Fudge and a candy thermometer she advised to skip the thermometer but to make sure it had been at a "rolling boil" for five full minutes.
  • I'm doing peanut butter fudge next.  Recommendation from expert fudge maker:  replace chocolate with 1.5 cups peanut butter and reduce butter since plenty of oil in peanut butter.

3 comments:

Francis X. said...

You have not lived until you have had a Fluffernutter sandwich!!

Francis X. said...

I am trying to find "eat more fudge" in the post below this one. Did I miss something?

Anonymous said...

I love fantasy fudge. Can't wait to see how the peanut butter fudge turns out.