Sunday, September 12, 2010

Around here

Evening Walk, Roosevelt Island on the left, Manhattan on the right
  • Freddie and I have figured out our routine.  It includes morning and afternoon trips to one of the playgrounds on the island.  I am just about ready to add "field trips" to our days.  
  • Monday mornings will include going to the Moms' group so Freddie can play with the 35+ toddlers that attend.
  • Wednesday mornings will include story time at the library on the island.  I think I may seek out other library story times in the city and add these to my list of potential field trips.
  • I ordered a dresser online marked down 80%.  Style is not perfect, but the price is right.  The alternative in our price range (cheap!) was something from IKEA but Charlie doesn't have much time for furniture assembly these days.  Fingers crossed the "back ordered" dresser eventually ships.
  • I'd still like another storage piece in our bedroom.  There is room, but I am not sure how to take advantage of the space cheaply and keep it aesthetically pleasing.
  • We're working on getting a big boy bed for Freddie with a trundle that will double as a guest bed.
  • My feelings about New York still stand as a nice place to visit, but not sure I want to live there.  I'm working on making this a three (or four) year visit. 
  • Charlie's a bit overwhelmed.  He's trying to put in longer hours with a new job, keep up with the 70+ hour weeks his colleagues put in, finish corrections and binding of his dissertation, and have dinner with his family each night.  And occasionally get some sleep.
  • Fall, what's fall?  I think it's arrived.  The temperatures are cooler, the windows remain open, and I'm pulling out the fleece.
  • The camera is out so I should be taking more pictures.  That means more regular posting.

3 comments:

Alice said...

70 hour weeks?!? What's wrong with those people?

ErinG said...

Try, try, try to enjoy it! The picture is beautiful and if you get to see that every day you are a lucky gal!!

Soapchick said...

Thanks for the update, the field trips sound like just what you need to make some connections with some other women. You'll settle in even more and I agree with your plan - make it a 3 year visit. I do hope that Charlie doesn't have to work 70 hours per week, that is just crazy! I did that in my 20s, but not now, no way Jose. Maybe he can educate his colleagues on the concept of work/life balance?