My very favorite ultrasound technician from the fertility clinic did the scan prior to the doctor doing a scan, and she made a prediction on sex. She said the quality of the image at 13 weeks isn't very good, but if she had to say one way or the other it would be...boy. We'll see if this still stands at the anatomy scan at 20 weeks.

I opted for this first trimester screening solely for the purpose of taking advantage of the opportunity to see inside once again. That is the only thing that keeps my emotions and nerves in check, and even that lasts only a few days. We didn't (and still don't) have plans of taking any further action if results indicated elevated risks for chromosomal abnormalities. There'd be no CVS or amniocentesis, as neither of us is comfortable with the risk.
The CRL (crown rump length) is 70 so with that length they were looking for nuchal thickness of less than 3mm. It measured 1.4.

Blood sample was taken and with those results I will be given the proposed "chances" (1 in XX) of the baby having an abnormality. 2nd trimester screening will decrease the chances of a "false positive" and about 91% of abnormalities are detected.
I suppose I should mention here that I had a bit of a melt down in the office when I was informed 10 minutes after arriving that the doctor was running behind 1 hour. Grrrr. It wasn't Dr. M, so I have little patience for that particularly because the hospital is so adamant about patients arriving on time or face appointment cancellation and charges. And well, they knew I was irritated. They sent the hospital manager to speak with me, and I told him nothing he said would change my feelings, and if he expected flexibility from hospital patients in such instances, he should afford patients the same courtesy. And any time I am angry or stressed I cry, so the tears were flowing.
The office must have been abuzz with "the crazy lady" gossip, because they sent Dr. M down to see which patient it was. He smiled when he saw me, and told me "I already knew who it was." Smile.
Next appointment August 26. "20 week scan" set for September 24th.


5 comments:
Oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh what a beautiful sight!! My heart is so warm and fuzzy inside just seeing a picture of your beautiful baby. It's amazing how fast they grow!!! I'm so happy for you Erin and Charlie!
I love you, crazy lady, and that little baby too.
Um-ba-bay? Love it! You'll have to explain the origin of that name in a future post.
So happy for your great visit.
Emmy
Those ultrasound pictures are so great! They are so clear and cute!! I hope you are feeling even more at ease and less anxious. And hey you have every reason to throw fits and have tears. You are pregnant!!! You've got more hormones and emotions than anyone around, enjoy the excuse and use it to your advantage! I miss ya!
Dawn
Oh Erin, You make me laugh out loud!! hahahahaha. Charlie is so fortunate to have such a funny lady. Your baby is so sweet looking, a boy maybe, hmmm.
Happy Second Trimester!!! Glad to see the little guy is measuring ahead of schedule now and looking great. I've been thinking "boy" from the beginning, so I hope you'll see "the turtle" at week 20.
It's ironic when you have one of those stressful waits in the doctor's office, then they call you back and take your blood pressure. Hmmm?
Post a Comment