- 1 (16-ounce) package of rigati pasta (or other small pasta shells)
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2½ cups 2% reduced fat milk (or cream)
- 6 slices white American cheese, chopped
- 1 cup (8 ounces) shredded extra-sharp white Vermont cheddar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon hot sauce
- Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- Melt butter over low heat. Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute, whisking constantly.
- Gradually whisk in milk (or cream); cook over medium heat, whisking until mixture thickens and bubbles. Remove from heat.
- Add cheeses, mustard, salt, and hot sauce, stirring until cheese melts and sauce is smooth.
- Stir in pasta and cook over medium heat for 1 minute (or until thoroughly heated).
- This is really yummy and pretty close to Panera's, which Freddie LOVES.
- Definitely serve it right away. It doesn't reheat so well.
- It makes a lot, so consider halving the recipe unless you are cooking for a big group.