Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Spaghetti Squash

Spaghetti squash is one of those things that I'd have never thought to fix.  It's something you see in Martha Stewart or Real Simple Magazine and just think...huh, that's interesting.  But I have actually cooked it and like it!  We've had it a few times recently and it is so easy.  It's also healthy.  Definitely don't think this is going to replace pasta or cure your carb craving, but it helped me feel less guilty about eating a big dessert after dinner.  

Most are about this size:



And that seems to be just the right size for our family.  Half a squash yields:


To cook it, as directed by my sister, I pierced it with a knife a few times, set it on a plate, and microwaved it for 15 minutes.  Afterwards, slice it open and discard the inner seeds.

Remove the very inside, the seeds

The "spaghetti" is the pulp-ish part between the seeds and the skin.  I simply scraped it out with a fork onto the plate.



I've only had it with tomato sauce (red gravy for you Southern Italians), specifically chicken Parmesan, but think I'll try a few other recipes.  There must be some on Pinterest

**Sorry about the terrible phone pictures.  I've been lazy about using a real camera since the demise of my point and shoot.

1 comment:

Noelle said...

I love spaghetti squash, and so do the kids. It's so much better for you than pasta. I scrape out the seeds before I nuke it, though.